Welcome to FIRST GRADE! I am so excited to meet all of you! Below are a few things you need to know for the first day of school! Please check this blog often to see what's happening in the classroom. :) Mrs. Jilek-Wolfe
Please come to the open house on August 22th from 6-7:30!
A PEEK AT THE FIRST DAY
As a mother of 3 I know that the first day of school can be very scary for some! Please read this with your child to let him or her know what will happen. This may reduce some of the stress!
1. When you arrive to school on the bus you will walk off the bus and into the school right to the classroom. If you are not sure where to go please find a teacher outside. That teacher will walk you to the classroom. Please put all of your things in front of your locker and come on into the classroom!
If you are getting dropped off by your mom or dad please walk down to the classroom!
You can give mom and dad a hug goodbye, put everything you have in front of your locker and come right in!
2. Be sure to show me the name tag mom and dad made for you with your name, my name and your bus number or pick up or kids kare on the front. I will write down what bus you are to take home or if you are getting picked up or going to kids kare.
3. You will play with Legos and color. We will wait for our entire class to arrive and then we will gather our things and practice walking into the building and go into our classroom. I will show you how to get there the first day. On the second day I will stand outside the classroom and you will come to see me. Don't worry...we will practice this on the first day! There is also a video about this on the tabs above labeled VIDEOS!
4. When we get into the classroom you meet me at the class meeting carpet I will show you how to pick your seat and then have . I will show you what to do each morning when you get to school and where to put all of your things.
You do not need to bring any school supplies, but PLEASE bring a lunch or lunch money and 2 healthy snacks. If you would like to bring a water bottle with a pop top (no twist tops to avoid spilling) you may bring that and keep it on your desk.
5. You will put your lunch and snack on the top shelf of your locker when I tell you to and hang up your backpack in your locker. After that we will meet again at the carpet and get ready to have some fun.
6. We will get to know each other, go out for recess, read a book, do a project and meet with the entire first grade to go over our class rules! They are...
listen when the teacher is talking
follow directions quickly
raise your hand for permission to speak
respect yourself, respect others, respect your school
be safe, be honest
keep your dear teacher happy
7. It will then be time for recess and lunch. You will go out for recess with the playground helpers. Then when you come in you will wash your hands and get your lunch from the top shelf of your locker or simply line up at the end of the hall if you are buying. When you go into the lunch room you will sit down and eat or line up to get your lunch. I will pick you up from the lunchroom after I walk and eat!
8. We will take a bathroom break and then head back to the classroom for more fun! After writing we will go to specials (gym or art or computers or music). After that, we you will get your yellow folder. This folder is very important and should be brought back to school EVERY DAY! We will then have snack and recess and finally work on social studies and science.
9. It will then be time to go home. We will line up at the door. One line for pick ups and one for busses. Don't worry...you will have bus buddies for the first few weeks of school!
Can't wait to meet you! Mrs. Jilek-Wolfe BUT WAIT...THERE IS MORE!!! When you walk into our classroom, you are going to notice that it looks a little different. You will see that instead of desks and chairs, there are soft chairs, stability balls, stools, ottomans, low tables, yoga mats and more. You will also notice that something is missing.The missing piece is your child’s desk. I have been researching flexible seating for awhile now and decided it was time to give it a try. The research shows so many positives using flexible seating. Here are just a few examples of why this alternative seating is successful... 1.helps students attention spans which results in higher achievement
2.makes students more actively engaged in the classroom
3.gives them an active outlet without disrupting their learning
4.makes them more physically fit
5.motivates students to want to come to school
6.helps those with ADHD and Autism, along with other special needs
7.helps develop a sense of community among the students which improves their social skills
8.helps them to become independent learners
9.is LOVED by the students and teacher
This flexible seating method will allow your child to do their BEST learning. For example, I do my best work sitting in a soft chair at a desk. My husband works best laying on the couch with a laptop. Children are no different. Just like children have different learning styles, they have different physical needs when it comes to learning.
Stock up on books and a good series for summer reading! You can order for siblings too!
ONLINE (Go to scholastic.com/bookclubs - CLASS CODE: DYTG8)
ORDERS ARE DUE MONDAY, MAY 14th!
RIDE YOUR BIKE TO SCHOOL DAY IS WEDNESDAY!
Mr. Moore sent out a detailed letter about this fun event. Please go back and reread it if you'd like to participate.
Over the next two weeks, we will be taking the NWEA and I will be DRA testing as well. Please make sure your child is getting plenty of rest and eating a good breakfast each day. School attendance and punctuality are very important too! Thank you!
PLEASE SIGN UP TO WATER AND WEED THE GARDEN THIS SUMMER!
Last year we had such a wonderful response from families helping with the garden. Please sign up to help again this year! We will need many helping hands to keep the garden thriving through the summer months!
The Fine Arts Festival is right
around the corner.It is a great night
of artwork and entertainment!
Mark your calendars you will not want to miss
April 24th:Kindergarten, 2nd grade, and 4th
grade will be performing in the cafeteria.The Kindergarten students will be asked to arrive at 5:45 and the show
will begin at 6:00.2nd grade
students will be asked to arrive at 6:15 and their performance will begin at
6:30. 4th grade students will be asked to arrive at 6:45 and their
performance will begin at 7:00.When
students arrive at their given time, please have them report to their classroom
where they will be lined up to get on stage.If students are already here to watch another grade level perform,
please do not send them down to their classroom until their given time, as
someone may not be down there until that time.
April 26th:1st grade, 3rd grade,
and 5th grade students will be performing in the cafeteria. The 1st
grade students will be asked to arrive at 5:45 and the show will begin at 6:00.3rd grade students will be asked
to arrive at 6:15 and their performance will begin at 6:30. 5th
grade students will be asked to arrive at 6:45 and their performance will begin
at 7:00.When students arrive at their
given time, please have them report to their classroom where they will be lined
up to get on stage. If students are already here to watch another grade level
perform, please do not send them down to their classroom until their given time,
as someone may not be down there until that time.
do I wear?Each grade level will be asked to wear a
specific color for their concert.All
students will be asked to wear black or dark-colored pants/skirts and then look
at the chart below to see what color shirt your student should wear the night
of the program. Please try to find a shirt that does not have much of a design
on it.The shirt can be long- or short-sleeved,
but I recommend short sleeves, as it tends to get hot on stage with all of the
students and the warm lights.
1st grade- Yellow
dyed shirts (classroom teachers will provide you with more information).
Kindergarten is doing a program about bunnies, if you have any bunny ears
please bring them for your child to wear.
We're using SignUp.com (the leading online signup and reminder tool) to organize our upcoming activity.
Please sign up for Spring Conference Sign-Up!
Here's how it works in 3 easy steps: 1. Click this link to go to our invitation page on SignUp.com: http://signup.com/login/entry/1125785508017 2. Enter your email address: (You will NOT need to register an account on SignUp.com) 3. Sign up! Choose your spots - SignUp.com will send you an automated confirmation and reminders. Easy!
Note: SignUp.com does not share your email address with anyone. If you prefer not to use your email address, please contact me and I can sign you up manually.
What a great first semester it has been in our classroom. The children are really beginning to work together as a team and it has been wonderful watching them grow. How wonderful it is to see things “click” and watch the excitement these children bring to learning.
Thank you so much for your support this year. It is a lot of work being a parent and you are all doing a wonderful job. Keep reading, working on fluency and comprehension as well as going over math homework. This nightly practice is so important to ensure the academic growth of the first grade year.
Your child’s report card is in PowerSchool.
Many children are DE (developing) in areas of the curriculum. This is okay...many of the skills on the report card are not yet mastered. The goal is for all of these standards on the report card to be mastered or SE (secure) by the end of first grade.
If there is a NE or BE next to an item please be sure to work with your child on this area. I will be working with your child in these areas also, but your support at home is helpful to your child’s success.
As always, please let me know if you have any questions regarding your child’s growth. I have many suggestions to help him or her achieve their goals.
The Hutchings Carnival is right around the corner and our class needs to get a basket ready to raffle off for this wonderful event (2-23).
Our class basket theme is OUTDOOR ADVENTURE! Please send in anything you can that would help fill this basket. You are also welcome to send in money and I will buy outdoorsy items to put in the basket!
If anyone has a large basket or bin of some type please let me know AND if anyone would like to put the basket together that would be AMAZING!!! I did it one year and found that I do not have the wonderful qualities needed to create a top selling basket...I think we earned 14.00 for the classroom...
Thank you for ALL you do and I look forward to seeing some wonderful OUTDOOR ADVENTURE items!...and a basket maker! WINK!
: Sleeping bag, fishing pole, mini lanterns, fixings for s’mores (graham crackers, marshmallows, and chocolate), head lamps, bug spray, citronella candles, gift cards to outdoor stores